Statement of Faith
What we believe:
1. The Bible is the inspired and only infallible Word of God.
2. There is one true God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the
Son, God the Holy Spirit.
3. In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His
miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection, in His
ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His personal future return to the earth in
power and glory to rule for a thousand years.
4. In the blessed hope, the imminent return of Christ.
5. In the fall and sinfulness of man and that the only means of being cleansed from sin
is through repentance and faith in the redeeming blood of Christ.
6. Regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential to personal salvation.
7. Divine healing is available through the redemptive work of Christ on the cross.
8. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who ask
for it. The Holy Spirit in a person's life is evidenced by changes in his life, including a
renewed love for God, and people, a commitment to the scriptures and holy living.
9. The Church of Jesus Christ is the universal, spiritual body of believers from every
tribe, tongue, kindred and race of peoples, and is indwelt by God through the Holy
Spirit and divinely empowered to fulfill ministry and her Great Commission on earth.
10. In the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is
enabled to live a holy life.
11. In the resurrection and final judgment of both the saved and the lost, the saved to
everlasting life and the lost to everlasting damnation.
12. In the new heavens and the new earth and the holy Jerusalem, the city of God,
descending out of heaven and filled with the glory of God.
13. Christian growth can only be realized by faith in the promises of God.
14. The water Baptism and the Lord's Supper are the two ordinances of the Church to
be observed until the time of Christ's return. They are not a means of salvation, but
are channels of God's sanctifying grace and blessing to the faithful in Christ Jesus.
15. Marriage is God-ordained. “The creator made them male and female, and said, “For this
reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will
become one flesh” (Matthew 19:4-5). Marriage is to be an exclusive relationship, a
lifelong faithful union between a man and a woman. This relationship between a
husband and wife should parallel the relationship between Christ and the Church.
16. The Holy Scripture teaches that both men and women are called to His kingdom
ministry and eligible to leadership in the church.. Women, like men, must be diligent
to study the Scriptures and understand God's calling on their lives. Church history
is filled with women and men who have found productive ministry, not based on
gender, but based on God's gifting and calling.
17. We affirm that “Those who are called to leadership in the church are to lead a life in
obedience to Scripture and in conformity to the historic confessional standards of the church.
Among these standards is the requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of
marriage between a man and a woman, or chastity in singleness.” (PCUSA Book of Order
18. God created humans in His image, intentionally male and female, each bringing
unique and complementary qualities to sexuality and relationships. Sexuality is a
glorious gift from God to be offered back to Him either in marriage for procreation,
union and mutual delight or in celibacy for undivided devotion to Christ. Christians
are called to proclaim the truth and beauty of God's design and the redemption of
sexual brokenness in our lives and culture through Jesus Christ. (from Focus on the
Used resources are from: PCUSA Book of Order, Times Square Church's statement of faith, and Focus on the